How to look after your cosmetic tattoo
Immediately after a cosmetic tattooing procedure the area treated will look about 50% darker than the final results. This is temporary, the colour will lighten and soften over 3 to 14 days. It is normal for the area to feel slightly tender or dry. Here are some instructions and tips to follow to look after your cosmetic tattoo.
Home care instructions
Purchase a small tube of Bepanthen Cream. This is a gentle antiseptic cream which assists in the skin’s natural healing process. It will prevent infections and scabbing and will hydrate and soothe the tattooed area. Apply every few hours for the first week, then twice a day for the second week, and always after showering (do not use soap on the treated area).
Do’s and Don’ts
- Avoid direct sun exposure on the treated area for the first 2 weeks. Exposure to the sun over time can cause fading and may cause the colour to change. If you are going out into the sun apply sunscreen to protect the area. You can cover the area with vaseline when swimming in chlorine water to prevent bleaching.
- No make-up is to be applied on the treated area at least 48 hours. This can lead to infection and the colour to change. If you do use it, use brand new make-up to minimise infection. This is especially important with mascara.
- No soap or cleansers on the treated area for one day.
- Don’t scrub the treated area, crusting will fall off naturally please don’t force it.
- Avoid using teeth whitening tooth paste if you have had a lip tattoo. Chemicals of any kind can interfere with healing and the colour.
- Skin topicals that contain acids or retinol may lighten the colour prematurely with continuous use.
- Don’t sit in a heated spa, sauna or steam room 2 weeks. Steam will open pores and may make the colour bleed out.
- Do not wax, pluck or bleach the hair for at least 3 weeks after the treatment. If you are having laser hair removal or resurfacing, please inform the cosmetic tattooist prior to your procedure.
- Do not use prescription Retin-A or Roaccutane for at least 2 weeks prior to treatment and 4 weeks after the treatment
- No fillers or anti-wrinkle injections such as Restylane or Botox on or near the treated areas 2 weeks before or after treatment
Immediately after and for next 24 hours continue to wipe the eyebrows. They will weep a clear fluid which is normal and part of the healing process. Wipe them gently to remove the fluid otherwise a crusting or scab will build up which is not what we want. As the eyebrow skin heals, the area can often form a slight crusting which will be flaking off naturally. Do not scrub off the flaking. After 5-6 days the brow tattooing will dramatically soften and lighten approximately 50%.
Apply Bepanthen Cream a minimum of three times a day for the first week. Then twice a day for the following two weeks until the skin healed and smooth. For maximum results cream must be applied every 2-3 hours for the first day and about every 4 hours for the next 5 days.
Expect the eye to be slightly tender 1-3 days. Swelling is minimal and with most clients it will subside within 24 hours. It is not necessary to apply any after care cream. If needed, apply a small amount of Bepanthen, less is better. Cold pads can be applied to minimise swelling. Do not use eye liner and mascara.
This area will take the longest to heal. The colour will be much brighter than the final colour for 7-8 days. It will then fade to no colour and re-appears after 3-6 weeks. Bepanthen Cream must be applied constantly as your lips will be very dry. Keep them moist with the Bepanthen cream and if you suffer cold sore use cold sore cream like Zovirax with the Bepanthen cream.